Law 1 - Field and Goals: Field approximately:
- 240 x 150 feet (80 x 50 yards) with 7 x 21 foot goals for 8v8 or
- 360 x 210 (120 x 70 yards) with 8 x 24 foot goals for 11v11
Please pick up all trash, equipment and clothing, etc. after your practice or game.
If fields are unlined, please walk off the field marking corners, center line, and goals with flat cones.
Please do not allow playing, climbing or hanging on the soccer goal posts or netting. Goals falling on people can cause serious injury.
Law 2 - Ball: Size 4
Law 3 - Players:
- Maximum of 12 players per team playing 8v8 games, one of which is a goalkeeper. A team who cannot field at least 5 players within 10 minutes of the kickoff time of the game will forfeit the game with a 1-0 score.
- Maximum of 16 players per team for playing 11v11 games. A team who cannot field at least 7 players within 10 minutes of the kickoff time of the game will forfeit the game with a 1-0 score.
If a team forfeits the game (i.e. can only field 4 or less players for 8v8 or 6 or less players for 11v11), the game should still be played and, if needed, cones should be used to adjust the field size and coaches can balance the teams from a competitive perspective by either playing both teams with the same number of players on the field, allowing the team that is clearly weaker to play with more players, loaning players to the other team, playing players out of position, and so-on. Coaches should also make these kinds of adjustments if the game is lopsided.
Goalkeepers are used.
Unlimited substitutions with the referees permission are allowed:
- On your throw-in. You cannot substitute on the other teams throw in unless they call for substitutes.
- On either teams Goal kick.
- On either teams kick off after a goal is scored.
- By either team at half time.
- By either team if a player is injured and leaves the field.
You may NOT substitute:
- To replace a player sent off ("red card"), you have to play with one less player.
- On a corner kick or free kick.
- On the other teams throw-in unless they call for substitutes.
All players present, except in the case of injury or red card, must:
Play at least half (50%) of the game
Have as near equal playing time as possible compared to other players
Be given the opportunity to play in each position but not be forced to play in a specific position.
Law 4 - Equipment: Home team wears white and away team wears green. Must wear shin guards under socks. No baseball or football shoes allowed. No jewelry, earrings, or metal hair clips are allowed.
Law 5 & 6 - Referees: WWPSA provides referees. Coaches and referees must meet before the game to clarify rules and appoint parents as assistant referees (linesmen). Coaches officiate the game and should briefly explain calls to players. Coaches and Assistant Coaches may not be on the field during the game without the referees permission and should respect the referee's decision.
Law 7 - Duration of Practices and Games: Practices are held on weeknights and can last up to 90 minutes.
Games consist of 2 equal 40 minute halves with a 10 minute break at half time for a total game time of 90 minutes. Referees and Coaches should only adjust game time in exceptionally circumstance - please let the players play as much as possible.
Law 8 - Start and Restart of Play: Opposing players must be 10 yards (30 feet) from the ball for kickoffs, goal kicks, free kicks, and corner kicks.
Law 10 - Scoring: Let them have fun and score lots of goals. Celebrate and cheer for all goals scored.
Law 11 - Offside: Offside rule applies. i.e. There must be 2 opposing team players (one may be the goal keeper) between the player and the opposing team’s goal when the ball is passed by a team mate of the player and the team in possession gains an advantage by been in the offside position
Law 12 - Fouls and Misconduct: No slide tackling allowed. All other rules apply. All other rules apply. Referees will stop play, and apply remedy, including yellow or red cards (including sending off) as appropriate.
Law 14 - Penalty Kicks: Taken 10 yards from goal line. Other players must be 10 yards away.
Law 15 - Throw-in: If the player makes an illegal throw-in, the other teams gets the ball and does the throw-in (ball is throw with 2 hands from behind head with 2 feet on the ground, feet may be on or outside of the touch lines). A useful chant to teach the player is "Both feet on the ground, behind the line, 2 hands on the ball, throw it over my head near a team mate." Opposing players should be 2 yards (6 feet) from the player making the throw-in.
Law 16 - Goal Kick: Players may not touch the ball until it is outside the penalty box.
Law 17 - Corner Kick: Opposing players must be 10 yards (30 feet) from the ball.